Volunteer opportunities abound at the Greensburg & Decatur County Animal Shelter! From a few minutes to several hours, each and every moment a volunteer spends here is truly appreciated by the animals and our staff.
A lot of our volunteer activities are physically demanding, and the Shelter can be a very noisy, busy place. We strive very hard to accommodate any volunteers with physical or mental disabilities.
During open hours, help is always appreciated to:
- Walk or exercise dogs outside (all weather unless severe)
- Play with, handle and socialize cats and kittens
- Feed the animals
- General cleaning and kennel cleaning
- Indoor and outside maintenance and upkeep
- General chores and office help
Prior to opening, volunteers are needed to exercise the dogs outside:
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 8 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Other Volunteer activities include (but not limited to):
- Transporting animals, in your vehicle and at your expense, to partnering rescue groups (usually on Saturday).
- After hours walking/exercise of dogs
Volunteer applications can be picked up at the Shelter. Young adults between the ages of 16 – 18 must have a valid drivers license and a parent or guardian signature on this form. Teens and children younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult.